February 28, 2011

Imagine

Okay, so by reading this we are all agreeing that we are HUMAN and live on planet EARTH, correct? Sheesh. I read something about if it's demonic or not to read the Twilight series. Honestly, good topic. Interesting responses. But we are human. We like imaginary things. We like to imagine being on a beach with the sun beaming on us and the waves crashing while we're in the middle of a Canadian winter (yuck). It's human nature to imagine. I don't think there's anything wrong with liking the Twilight series. This is going to sound harsh and hypocritical, but I don't think that every single thing we do must be focused around God. And here's why: since we have all agreed that we live on this earth, we need to be aware of what's going on around us. I'm not saying that you have to read every book or anything. If you want to read Twilight, go right ahead. If it doesn't appeal to you, that's fine. Who knows, maybe you and your friend will have a conversation about Twilight, then it turns into how it's not real, then there's the question 'why', then it turns into a conversation about God. You never know! I mean, of course we have to have our TAWG time (Time Alone With God--I know, so cool!) God created us to spend time with him. But we also have to get out into the world. He designed us to serve as well. We have to go out into the world and wash people's feet, as Jesus did. He wants us to make ourselves the lowest of the low, to be able to do the lowest jobs because he sees what we do and he will reward us for our hearts. So, I think that we definitely need our time with God, it's something we need to survive, we just can't do without it. But we also need to go serve.
I was fasting from just about everything this past Monday and I had 12 hours of a day to kill. 6 of them were spent reading my Bible and spending time with God, 1 of them spent praying, 1 of them spent napping by accident, 2 of them spent watching tv and the other two, 1 doing homework and 1 sitting around listening to music and chilling. I am not one of those people who can spend their entire day with God. I'm also not the kind of person who likes to even spend an entire day with my friends. I love people, but I also love being alone. There has to be a balance. So I think that it's the same with God. I get super tired from reading, but I read so much and I learned a lot, so it was well worth it. But I did need a balance. I needed to go and do other things and then come back to him, because then I was refreshed and wanted that time with Him. I don't think that unless you were super human that you would be able to spend your entire time here on earth with God. We do need to try and glorify Him in everything we do though.
Does that make sense at all? I home I was not just rambling on and making no sense.
I think that unless it says in the bible that it's a sin, that it's no problem. I don't remember ever reading anything in the bible that is relevant to sinning and Twilight. Feel free to post your views, I'm happy to hear them.
God bless,
Ariel

3 comments:

  1. (i'm sorry, it appears i always have something to say)

    it's not that when you aren't praying/reading your bible/etc. you are 'away' from God. If you are a Christian, then you always have the Holy Spirit in you/with you, guiding you (if you'll let it). and the more time you spend 'with' God, then the more aware you will be of Him and how He moves when you're not in those times (when you're just living life). i don't personally think there's anything wrong with reading Twilight, but i wouldn't say that is true for everyone. i think God cares about every single aspect of our lives, including what books we read, and we should listen to the nudgings we get in regards to everything. I used to think that God probably didn't care/have an opinion on everything, but lately i'm thinking otherwise. That said, i think it's silly when people get hung up on deciding if things like Twilight are 'bad'. We should be focusing on things that really matter, which mostly have to do with becoming more like Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right...I'm at a loss for wording things correctly sometimes, so thanks for helping me out :)
    What bothers me is that people FIGHT about it. If I were a non-Christian, this argument would turn me off even more to accepting God. It's just not worth it to fight over it. We all have different views BUT we don't know what God is thinking about it, so we cannot put words in his mouth

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah i feel the same way. why would someone else want to be a Christian if they see us arguing about dumb stuff all the time?

    ReplyDelete