December 25, 2010

Scrooge

I've never particularly liked holidays. Actually, that's wrong, I've always told myself that I liked holidays. I always told myself that the next one would be better. I always told myself that it was better than I was making it out to be, but I was wrong. I've completely given up on holidays. Thanksgiving, Valentines day, even Christmas. Actually, especially Christmas.
It's not that I don't love God, OF COURSE I love God! Who doesn't?! (Don't answer that.) I love that after so many years ( I have no idea how many) of Jesus dying we still celebrate his birthday. Do you celebrate your great grandma Edna's birthday after she's been dead for only one year?? Probably not. But it's just incredible that after all these years, we still celebrate. But the thing is, he did die, but he's still alive! He rose from the dead after 3 days, and if you remember correctly, he did not die again. He was taken up into heaven, ALIVE!! So that's the difference, we are celebrating Jesus' birthday, a man who is not on this earth anymore, but is not dead. Incredible.
The thing that I don't like about Christmas is everything else. I love celebrating Jesus birthday. But people have put something into my head that just irritates me. Whenever I would mention Christmas, CHRISTmas, and Jesus birthday and everything, many people felt the need to correct me and say, "Jesus birthday is actually in the summer, we just celebrate it in December." Yes, I know this, yes, at this moment, I do not care. If we celebrate his birthday now, then let us! Let us have our joy and not have to think, "oh, well it's really not his birthday." Because that's what drives me insane, that little stupid phrase runs through my mind every time I see "Happy birthday Jesus" on facebook. And it makes me want to punch myself. I can't tell you the reason we celebrate Christmas now instead of in the summer, but I'm sure there's a reason for it, and I'm sure that Jesus is excited that so many people still celebrate his birthday and acknowledge him after all these years. I'm sure it makes him so happy, dates don't matter.
Another thing, presents. I hate that everyone gets presents on the same day. Why? Because it makes people feel so small compared to others. Like ants. "New ipod touch!" "New laptop!" New this, new that, new $500 whatever. I want to be happy with my gifts, but we are so spoiled here in Canada. Lots of times I wish that I was born in Africa so I would have no choice but to depend on the Lord, to need him. The poor are truly blessed. Of course I want a new ipod touch! Yes, I am selfish. Yes, I am spoiled. Yes, there are people more spoiled and more selfish than I am, but in the big picture, I am those things, and that needs to change. I don't want to be selfish. Jesus wasn't selfish. I don't want to be spoiled. Jesus was the King of kings, yet he walked around in the desert and went without food for days. I want to be like him.
Family stresses me out. Anyone who knows me knows that. My own family knows that. Yes, I love them, but they drive me bonkers. Really. I like being by myself. I like hiding up in my room for hours and not having to be with anyone. Come to think of it, that's why I like the bathroom so much. Everyone leaves me alone in there! No one even tries to talk to me when I'm in the shower, and that's when I can really talk to God. Because it's just me and him, no one else.
Kay, guys, I'm really not a scrooge. In ways, I guess I am, but I love Christmas for the reasons that I should. I don't want to be so spoiled that I become shallow. Of course I want all those nice, expensive things, but if I do get them, I might not have enough time for God, and that scares me. I hope all of you had an amazing Christmas, filled with laughter and family and joy and good food and Jesus!
Blessings,
Ariel

2 comments:

  1. 10 things...
    1) The main thing I like about the holidays is spending time with family, not the gifts... I feel too much pressure with the gifts :) I think spending some special time loving on your family is honoring for Jesus' birthday.
    2) Room time is great... shower is even better! I'm like that too.
    3) Ummm... I think I ran out of things to say so really only 2 things to say!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We celebrate Christmas on December 25 because it's right near the Winter Solstice, and the pagan ritual celebrating the sun.
    The Christian's wanted to make it more JESUS-y, so they put their God-holiday into the same area that other faiths celebrate their main holidays.
    Basically, they either didn't want to feel left out, and wanted to keep GOD in all seasons.

    ReplyDelete