November 11, 2010

Lost

So, as you know, I've been struggling quite a bit lately. I wanted to share this story:
At LDP, we were at Mission Point. We heard the crucifixion story from a different point of view. Then we were told to write on a piece of paper something that we wanted to give to God. I'm not going to share what I wrote, because it's very personal. After, we nailed that thing to the cross. We went outside and took turns carrying the cross, over this island. It was beautiful. It started to rain and thunder. I was crying by this time, I looked around me, and saw the water crashing against the shore, and the green trees and grass, and this wide open space, and heard the thunder and felt the rain. It was all so overwhelming. There's only one man that I know who could put together something SO amazing. So perfect. We stopped at one point, and we were told that Jesus is still alive! I had never thought about that before. We were told that he died on the cross so that we didn't have to, he wants to take our burdens, he wants to carry them for us. On our way back down I had my turn to carry the cross. It was handed off to me right before this very steep, rocky part of the island. My thoughts: This is not going to end well. I took the cross, and I started down the rocks. They were slippery from the rain, making it even harder, especially while carrying a very heavy cross. Jesus was so strong guys, I would never be able to endure what he went through. Not in a million years. Of course, I slipped. But here's the thing: A least five different hands reached out to help me when they saw me fall. They helped me back up. They didn't want to see me fail.
That's so big, you guys. When I think of what we should be doing as followers of Christ, I think of that moment. Be there for someone when they fall, and help them back up. That day, there was nothing but support. Nothing but love.
I thought of that moment a lot these past few days. I fell. But, when people had seen that I had fallen, they reached out, and helped me up. They didn't want to see me fall. Luke 15:11-32 says:

11 Jesus continued: “There was a man who had two sons. 12 The younger one said to his father, ‘Father, give me my share of the estate.’ So he divided his property between them.


13 “Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living. 14 After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need. 15 So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs. 16 He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything.

17 “When he came to his senses, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired servants have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! 18 I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. 19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired servants.’ 20 So he got up and went to his father.

“But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

21 “The son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’

22 “But the father said to his servants, ‘Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. 23 Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. 24 For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate.

25 “Meanwhile, the older son was in the field. When he came near the house, he heard music and dancing. 26 So he called one of the servants and asked him what was going on. 27 ‘Your brother has come,’ he replied, ‘and your father has killed the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.’

28 “The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him. 29 But he answered his father, ‘Look! All these years I’ve been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends. 30 But when this son of yours who has squandered your property with prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!’

31 “‘My son,’ the father said, ‘you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. 32 But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’”


I love that passage. That's what made me willing to fight again. Someone had mentioned Luke 15 to me, so I decided to read it. Man, God is good. So good. I feel like the son in this story. I've come home to my daddy, and he's so happy to be with me again. Amazing. I don't deserve it at all, but I'm so glad that I have it.
Blessings,
Ariel

No comments:

Post a Comment